Friday, July 21, 2006

Je Regrette, and Other Franco-significant News

After the “nonsense” that I wrote yesterday, the publisher is punishing me by making me write about Luc Besson. When I reminded him that I don’t actually get paid, he hurled his espresso cup at me and stormed off to his Alfa Romeo yelling “and be sure to say The Fifth Element was awesome!” (i might have made that last part up.) But, to get it over with, it does appear that Luc Besson is retiring. He has two new films out this year and has announced his retirement, saying he doesn’t really like directing much any more. But then his mind wanders, and he starts to rethink a bit— read the Guardian interview for the whole story.

But speaking of upcoming French movies that aren’t really French, Michel Gondry’s The Science of Sleep is scheduled to open in September, which is none too soon. The current issue of RES Magazine reminded us of the short piece he made last year, The All Seeing Eye. That piece would look fine in a future volume of the JSF, hint hint, Michel. HERE’s a description of the short film.

Followers